By ruin of farmers and rural communities, by erosion, pollution, and various kinds of industrial and urban development, we have degraded and reduced the long-term food-producing capacity of our country. -W. Berry
Sponsored by Montana Departments of Agriculture & Environmental Quality
What do we know about nitrate levels in Montana water?
How does nitrate move in the environment?
- Is nitrate in groundwater elevated in Montana?
- How does nitrate in groundwater effect streams?
- Is nitrate in groundwater related to fertilizer, crop-fallow, pulse crops, or cover crops?
- What is the geochemistry of nitrate in the subsurface?
- Do septic systems contribute nitrate to groundwater?
- Are there other nitrate sources that aren’t well documented?
- Can/should we manage various nutrient sources more closely?
- What are the challenges to managing nitrate in water?
- Have other Intermountain West states addressed nitrate in groundwater?